Friday, November 04, 2011

My Super GIRL!!!

 I took a few minutes in my last post to talk about Tim and I loved just being able to take a few moments to think about him and appreciate who he is. I thought I would do the same for Mary, and Luke too...when I get around to it again. Which will probably be in a month or so. :)

1. I love the picture of Mary (above) because it is a part of Mary that you don't always see initially. I think people sometimes look at Mary as sweet and timid. And yes, she definitely is sweet and can be very timid. But inside she is bursting with flare. She can be stubborn, mischievous, and determined. She has a very big heart, a beautiful smile, and an infectious laugh. This picture captures Mary in one of her more determined moments. (This was her Halloween costume by the way).

2. Mary is the ultimate nurturer. That has become more and more apparent as I watch her with Luke. She loves to do anything and everything for Luke. If I can't get her to do something, if I pull Luke into the equation it definitely helps. i.e. "Mary, don't you think Luke would love it if he had a place where he could lay in your room without all your toys in the way? And don't you think we need to set a good example for him so one day he will know how to clean his room just like he learned from watching you?" wink, wink.   Once in a while I will help watch another baby, as well as Luke. Mary is the ultimate helper. She will drop everything else to hand the babies toys, coo at them and keep them happy. Mary doesn't like to see anyone sad and she will do whatever she can to remedy things if a friend is sad.Tim is the one exception to the rule-sometimes. ha.

3. Mary is positive. I love to ask Mary for something like a french fry or an M&M and see her smile and say "sure!" I don't know why, but it is the cutest thing the way she says it. Maybe it just warms my heart to ask for something and not have whining and moaning follow the request.

4. Mary melts my heart. I used to watch her through the little window as she entered nursery at church as a 18-month old. She didn't put up a fight about going. But she would walk in and then just stand there and watch everything. She often didn't go to the toys or a teacher. She just watched. I would watch and just pull for her, wanting her to pick up a toy and play or interact with the kids. I could come back 5-10 minutes later and she could still be in the same place if one of her teachers didn't coax her into an activity. Oftentimes, by the end she ended up playing with the kitchen or ended up on the teacher's lap.  This happened for most of the time she was in nursery.
Sometimes I find myself just pulling for her and wanting her to come out of her little shell and just blossom. At church a couple weeks ago we had our primary program. Mary was going to sing a song in a small group. The night before the program, I asked Ryan what he thought she would do in front of the whole congregation. We figured based upon past experience she might hide her head and barely move her mouth. She really did know and love the song, but we just thought that was the Mary that would show up. When her group stood up to sing, she shined! Her voice rang out MUCH louder than everyone-granted a bit off beat-but seriously Ryan and I's shoulders were shaking we were trying not to laugh too hard. I was almost brought to tears as I pulled for her in that instance. I knew she was so scared, but she was trying so very hard to be brave.


 Mary started ballet. Here she is doing some moves.
I love getting to know my kids and I love watching them grow. Each time I have held my newborns in the hospital I have wondered, "Who are you? What will you be like?"  and I can't wait to start see their personality's blossom. It's just fun to see it unfold. I am scared and excited for what is to come with Mary.

2 comments:

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

what a neat post. I am headed over to see what you wrote for Tim! What a great mommy!

Dip It In Chocolate said...

Michelle!! I have been thinking about you a lot lately-. wondering how your little guy is doing, and thinking I needed to write on your facebook wall and tell you to post some pictures of Luke! (Don't know why it never occurred to me to check your blog). He is getting so big. I can't believe it! And can I just say I love your kids? I would have LOVED to see Mary belting out her song. Priceless! I miss them coming over to VT with you. We miss you guys so much!!